These are the 5 team sports that run the most!
5. American Football (2 km)
- You've probably seen an American Football game on TV and if not, you've probably seen a clip from the Super Bowl. At first glance, it seems that the players are constantly running from one side of the field to the other, thus driving a lot of kilometers. Nothing is less true. According to this study, an average 60 minute American Football match has only 11 minutes of playing time. 11 minutes! The remaining time is spent on commercial breaks and reruns on television. Sounds little, but if you add up the distance of all players and calculate the average walking distance, you end up at about 2 kilometers. With an average playing time of 11 minutes, that is quite a lot, especially when you consider that most players are heavier than 100 kilos!
- Since 2012, SportVU has been used in the basketball world; a modern technique with which the movement of each individual player can be mapped. This showed that the average walking distance of a basketball team is 4.5 kilometers. Basketball player Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls) covered the greatest distance in the 2014 season and ran an average of 4.98 kilometers per game.
- Fun fact: The NBA is one of the world's largest basketball leagues, with each team playing as many as 82 games. If you add the average walking distance of a basketball player and multiplied by 82, you end up with 408 kilometers. On average, a basketball player runs almost 10 marathons during the entire competition!
- TIP: Do you also practice a team sport such as basketball, tennis or football? Then try playing a match (or training) with sports socks from STOX Energy. These compression socks make your legs less tired and give your legs constant energy. In addition, muscle damage and the risk of injuries is significantly reduced!
- This is a tricky one, because a tennis match has no time limit and the winner is determined when the player has won two sets or when the player wins the tiebreak. It is therefore very difficult to determine how much a tennis player runs on average per match, but as far as possible, a professional player runs about 4.8 kilometers per match. The record for the shortest tennis match was during Wimbledon 2013 (Igor Sijsling and Ivan Dodig), which lasted only 14 minutes. The longest match? That was also at Wimbledon in 2010 when John Isner and Nicholas Mahut ran back and forth for a whopping 11 hours and 5 minutes until Isner came out victorious. Both players would have walked about 9.6 kilometers at the end of the latter match.
- Football players cover a considerable number of kilometers in a 90-minute match (not counting injury time). Compared to the forwards and the defenders, the midfielders run the most and sometimes cover more than 15 kilometers per match! However, the average distance of all players of a football team is around 11.2 kilometers per match. Blame the keeper, because if we hadn't taken that into account, the average would undoubtedly have been a lot higher.
- Ha! You thought football came first? Believe it or not, of all team sports, hockey players run more than the players of any other team sport. A hockey game lasts 70 minutes and a football game lasts 90 minutes. In addition, a hockey field (91 meters) is a lot smaller than a football field (100-120 meters), so a hockey player also runs back and forth a lot more often. If you also consider that a hockey player with 20 minutes less playing time walks almost as much as a football player, then an average walking distance of 9 kilometers is quite a lot! Prevent overload, cramps, injuries and swollen ankles during your hockey match with our hockey socks. These fit perfectly under your shin guards!!
So, those were the top 5 team sports with which you run the most kilometers. Do you remember a few sports that we forgot to mention or are you curious how our compression socks from STOX Energy work? Feel free to contact us!